Monday, February 18, 2013

A Star Is Born (1937)


I'd like to time travel so I could feel really rich.
"Give her that Joan Crawford smear."

My apologies to Judy Garland (cuz she totally reads here), but I like this version so much better. I think the beginning is very motivational (and dare I say inspirational) for people who want to something so badly and not giving up...but then of course realizing once you get it it's not all that it was cracked up to be.  sigh. I prefer technicolor so much because I love seeing the details in color- the nail polish, the furniture, and  you would never know her dress was a beautiful shade of emerald or that she had red hair.

Esther, everyone in this world who has ever dreamed about better things has been laughed at, don't you know that? But there's a difference between dreaming and doing. The dreamers just sit around and moon about how wonderful it would be if only things were different. And the years roll on and by and by they grow and they forget everything, even about their dreams. Oh yes, you want to be somebody, but you want it to be easy. Oh you modern girls give me a pain!

No comments: